Kolmanskop, Namib Desert.
Once a small but rich village located in Namibia, near the port town of Lüderitz. It was named after the transport driver Johnny Coleman, who during a sandstorm, abandoned his ox wagon on a small incline opposite the settlement. In 1908 a diamond was found here by the worker Zacharias Lewala, he showed it to his German supervisor August Stauch, who realised this area was rich in diamonds. Lots of German miners settled in this area and soon after the German government declared a large area as a “Sperrgebeit”, they started to exploit the diamond field. Driven by the enormous wealth of the first diamond miners, the residents built the village in the architectural style of a German town, with amenities and institutions including a hospital, ballroom, power station, school, skittle-alley, theater and sport-hall, casino, ice factory and the first x-ray-station in the southern hemisphere, as well as the first tram in Africa. It was ultimately abandoned in 1958 and is now a ghost town buried in knee-deep sand, it is also popular amongst photographers for its settings of the desert sands’ reclaiming this once-thriving town. Due to the area being restricted (Sperrgebeit) visitors need a permission to enter this town, but tourism is allowed.